Saturday, May 12, 2012

Goldberg: "Young people are so frickin' stupid"

We all know that the Republican Party discarded African Americans back in the 60's with their embrace of the Southern Strategy. We've recently witnessed how hard they've worked to discard Latinos, women and GLBT folks in this election. Now, if Jonah Goldberg has his way, they'll write off the next generation as well.



In case you'd rather not watch, here's the gist of it.
It is a simple fact of science that nothing correlates more with ignorance and stupidity more than youth. We’re all born idiots, and we only get over that condition as we get less young. My view is, they’re going to run the country some day, so we should really explain why they’re so frickin’ stupid about so many things.
I have to wonder if he'll get called out the way Hillary Rosen did for her perceived insult to motherhood. I suspect not. Dissing young people has long been an accepted practice in this country.

This is a particular pet peeve of mine because I think that the wisdom of the old needs to be challenged by the passion of the young in order for real change to come. And so I'd like to give Mr. Goldberg a little pictorial history of what he's dealing with when he takes on young people.

Mississippi lunch counter, USA Photobucket

Soweto, South Africa
Photobucket

Tienamen Square, China
Cairo, Egypt


Oh yes, and then there was that election in the USA in 2008


Mr. Goldberg can either learn the easy way or the hard way what Ms. Ella Baker knew long ago.



Ella's Song

The older I get the better I know that the secret of my going on
Is when the reins are in the hands of the young, who dare to run against the storm
To me young people come first, they have the courage where we fail
And if I can but shed some light as they carry us through the gale

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful post, Smartypants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think that the wisdom of the old needs to be challenged by the passion of the young in order for real change to come."

    Wisdom cannot be challenged or defeated. Convention, however, can most certainly be challenged by passion, and defeated. Unfortunately, we are seeing that in our Congress with the Tea Party and right wing extremism.

    I prefer to think convention is what you meant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, convention is not what I had in mind.

      Perhaps I didn't word that sentence well. One way to get at my meaning would have been to have added the corollary:

      I think that the wisdom of the old needs to be challenged by the passion of the young - just as the passion of the young needs to be challenged by the wisdom of the old - for change to come.

      There is a tension at the meeting of the two. Its when we can harness that tension that we really have something to work with.

      Delete
  3. Hi SP
    This post is so stunning for its brilliance in this time of dullness! Thx from putting my mind to work! I will be sharing on FB and TW because I want other people to know your work.
    Smilingl8dy
    PS: Eva Cassidy is singing today!!

    ReplyDelete

Why Christian nationalists fear freedom

For years now a lot of us have been trying to understand why white evangelical voters remain so loyal to Donald Trump. I believe that the an...