Saturday, January 1, 2011

Way to start 2011!

Yesterday I went out for a couple of hours in the late afternoon and when I got home, realized that someone had broken into my house and stolen my laptop and cell phone (I'm landlineless). As far as I could see at the time - that was all they took. My TV, DVD and other electronics were still here. I don't really have much of anything else in the house that's worth much $. Funny thing is - my camera and $30 in cash were sitting on a table out in the open and had not been taken.

This morning I realized that some items that were on the bed in my spare room had been messed with and a purse I had sitting on the desk was gone (all credit cards and ID were with me - thank goodness!)

It is, of course, rather jarring to realize that someone had been in my home...creepy feeling. But to have taken my computer AND phone was what really bothered me. I couldn't even call the cops to report it.

And then I started to think of all the things I'd lost with those two items. I don't know anyone's phone # or email address...they're all recorded on my phone and computer. I keep my calendar on my telephone, so all my appointments were gone. All my pictures were gone - as well as my music on itunes (no - I hadn't backed anything up).

Its interesting how much we've come to trust and rely on these forms of technology. I felt totally lost without them!

But there is some good news in all of this. Two years ago I switched over to a MacBook and iPhone. Four days ago, my brother synced the ones that were stolen - which means that my contacts and calendar were all stored in my Mobile Me account with Apple.

This morning I went to the Apple store and replaced both items. They were significantly cheaper today than they were two years ago. And the wonderfully helpful sales person there was able to retrieve the Mobile Me data. Unfortunately, my pictures are gone forever.

What I'm hoping is that my bad luck for the year has all been used up already and that the rest of 2011 will be smooth sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did Zelenskyy play a role in Speaker Johnson's about-face on aid for Ukraine?

Since I wrote about the role white evangelical Christians played in influencing Speaker Johnson to support U.S. aid to Ukraine, I found a p...