Monday, May 9, 2011

Good leadership is not afraid of disagreement

During President Obama's interview on 60 Minutes, Steve Kroft asked him about the disagreement on his National Security Team concerning the best method for going after Osama Bin Laden.

You know one of the things that we’ve done here is to build a team that is collegial and where everybody speaks their mind. And there’s not a lot of sniping or back-biting after the fact. And what I’ve tried to do is make sure that every time I sit down in the situation room, every one of my advisors around there knows I expect them to give me their best assessments. And so the fact that there were some who voiced doubts about this approach was invaluable, because it meant the plan was sharper, it meant that we had thought through all of our options, it meant that when I finally did make the decision, I was making it based on the very best information.

This is the context in which a good leader can take risks...one where dissenting opinions have been voiced and their concerns incorporated into making the best plan/decision possible. It doesn't guarantee success - that's where the risk comes in. But it does give you the most secure foundation possible.

I won't even try to delineate just how different this is from our last President. Read Ron Suskind for the details. I'll simply say that I'm glad that era is over and will do everything I can to ensure that it is never repeated.

There is a reason why President Obama has been more successful than his predecessor. This explains why that is the case.

6 comments:

  1. Jeezuz. Have you seen the stories the DB thinks are "related" to MT's article? Will and Kate's sex life; Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen.

    I wonder if it's possible he heard the word "Newsweek" and jumped at it without ever thoroughly checking out the DB site. What an embarrassment that place is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. As I said at the G - that place is only one step ahead of the tabloids. I seriously cannot understand why MT saw it as a move up. My only thought is that the title "Newsweek" still carries some prestige for him - even as those weeklies become a dinosaur of the past.

    I just went over to see the latest column - noticed the "related" trash. Also noticed a few of the "gang" over there commenting.

    I'm going to wait and see what Matt does at the G. Even with the wingnuts over there it seems to be WAY ahead of TDB in terms of sanity. And I just hate that tabloid nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I saw the gang there. But even if Matt doesn't give us someone decent, I'm not going to sign up on the DB. I don't want to be associated with "trashy" and I really don't like the comment section. I've just skimmed down the comments a few times, looking for familiar names.

    The regular CifA columns don't seem to be very interesting or original or well-written. That one United States of Amazing is pure garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - I've read a few of the CifA columns and they are terrible! I was never as impressed with MT as you were - but now I see why he stood out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't so much impressed with what MT said as how he said it. Witty, pithy, funny, as well as knowledgeable––that sort of thing impresses me even if I don't agree with what the writer is saying. His hyperbole over the one he learned to call * was great fun. And I really read blogs, the few that I have read, for entertainment mostly.

    If I want to wade through paragraph after paragraph after paragraph of earnest twaddle, I might as well close the laptop and read Henry James!

    Ha, I just had a brilliant idea. Instead of waterboarding prisoners they could try reading Henry James out loud to them for hours and they'd crack in no time yet no one could seriously claim they've been tortured. (Except I would know the truth!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true that a good leader is not afraid of disagreements. The way Obama handled the situation was very inspiring. Every aspiring businessman could learn a few more things about leadership to make their business successful.

    ReplyDelete

Bill Barr explains why Christian nationalists are so loyal to Trump

Former Attorney General Bill Barr is in the news again. After basically asserting that the former president is unfit for office, he is now e...