1. Speaker Boehner is getting squeezed between a rock (Teapartiers) and a hard place (Wall Street financiers)
2. President Obama points out how his daughters are more mature than the Republicans
3. A tally of polling demonstrates that Americans clearly support higher taxes
4. Former Republican Senator Alan Simpson calls the Republican refusal to raise revenue "absolute bullshit"
5. Former Republican Senator Pete Domenici calls the Republicans "wrong" on this and contemplates asking for assistance on it from God and Christ.
6. Democrats are starting to call Republicans out on their efforts to sabotage the economy
7. Senator Schumer is threatening the use of a Presidental order to bypass the debt ceiling as the ultimate "nuclear option"
WAY TO GO TEAM!!!!!
And yet still, some lefty poutragers can't let go of the idea that we're loosing this one.
Though President Obama once seemed to hold hopes of presiding over one of Washington's fabled 'grand bargains' to rein in the long-term national debt, recent events have painted a different picture. Republicans have pushed an increasingly maximalist line -- deep cuts to discretionary spending, Social Security and Medicare, zero new revenues and no effort to boost the economy at all. Meanwhile the president and his congressional allies have continued a series of tactical retreats with no clear stated limit on how much they'll concede.
I must admit that I have a hard time understanding these folks. Is defeatism in the water or something these days?