Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Favorites

As the clock ticks toward midnight, I thought I'd summarize some of my favorite political things from this last year.

First of all, I'll point out that - with an assist from Andrew Sullivan - this was the most popular post here at Smartypants in the last year. On a more serious note, the one that came in second is perhaps the one I'm most proud of.

Other than the election (which I'll say more about later), this has to be the moment that brought me the most joy.



I put some of my favorite photographs from the year in this video.



So many of those are fabulous. But my outright favorite has to be this one.


Finally...we did have an election. There were so many memorable moments in the lead-up to that fateful night. One of my favorites was "Please proceed, Governor." But if for no other reason than that the President seemed to enjoy it so much, this one rises to the top for me.



When it comes to "best post-election analysis," this one tops them all (if you don't have time to watch the whole thing, at least watch the first 2 minutes).



Goodbye 2012. Thanks for the memories.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you and your family have a happy and healthy New Year, Smartypants! I read your blog every day and I want to thank you for your great insight on what is happening and sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year SmartyPants, thank you for everything you do. Chipsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love that photo. The expression on the little girl's face is precious. She looks so serene. And Lincoln in the background -- how much our nation has changed in 150 years.

    I especially love that she has afro puffs! As a black woman, seeing so many little black faces visit the President the oval office makes my heart swell.

    Happy new year, Smartypants. I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

"I'd much rather be us than them"

According to the polling aggregate at The Economist, if the 2024 presidential election were held today, it would result in a tie. There'...