Saturday, May 11, 2013

One Good Word

Loaves and Fishes

This is not
the age of information.

This is not
the age of information.

Forget the news,
and the radio,
and the blurred screen.

This is the time
of loaves
and fishes.

People are hungry
and one good word is bread
for a thousand.

-- David Whyte

It's a good thing no one pays me to write anything important here. Because there are days I don't have anything important to say. Today is one of them.

Lately I've been trying to avoid writing about the "noise" that so often consumes our politics and focus instead on what I think is really important. From my perspective, almost everything I'm reading today is noise.

And so perhaps its a good day to step away from "the news, and the radio, and the blurred screen" and go look for some bread.

Along those lines, here's an interesting article I ran across recently about strength. It ends with a powerful quote from an unlikely source...Alex Karras.
It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them,
more strength to relate to people than to dominate them,
more ‘manhood’ to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex.   
Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind.
 Of course, I always like a little music with my bread. So here's one of my favorite videos...just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did Zelenskyy play a role in Speaker Johnson's about-face on aid for Ukraine?

Since I wrote about the role white evangelical Christians played in influencing Speaker Johnson to support U.S. aid to Ukraine, I found a p...