Friday, September 5, 2014

Stonehenge

Today President Obama got to check off one of the things on his "bucket list" that remains on mine.


For years I have been absolutely fascinated - not just with Stonehenge - but with stone circles all over the British Isles.


My interest dates back to a time when a lot of my white friends started studying Native American spirituality because they found so much meaning in its grounding in the natural world. It struck me that - for anyone with Celtic origins - we might do well to search our own ancestors rather than appropriate someone else's. 

These stone circles represent a spiritual practice that is our heritage. The mysteries contained in their construction speak to a wisdom and sophistication that - for the most part - has been lost. But if we want to go in search of a time before we abandoned Mother Earth in search of a Sky God, this is a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did Zelenskyy play a role in Speaker Johnson's about-face on aid for Ukraine?

Since I wrote about the role white evangelical Christians played in influencing Speaker Johnson to support U.S. aid to Ukraine, I found a p...