Friday, May 20, 2011

First Grandma

Photobucket

Marian Robinson certainly doesn't seek the limelight. But its clear that she plays a powerful role in making the Obama Presidency possible.

Here's what Michelle had to say about Marian as a mother.

My mom is an incredibly intelligent and insightful person about life in general. From the time we could talk, she talked to us endlessly about any and everything with a level of openness and fearlessness that made us believe that we were bright enough to engage with an adult, that we were worthy enough to ask questions and to get really serious answers—and she did it with a level of humor. There were many times when we were in the midst of getting spanked or disciplined and she would start cracking up. She taught my brother and me not to take things so seriously; to work hard, but to learn to laugh at situations and laugh at yourself and then to move through it.

And here's what Marian had to say when she was asked whether or not she's enjoying her life in the White House.

“I really am,” she said. “You want to know why? Because my children are good parents. It makes it very easy to be a grandmother when your children are good parents.”

So here's a small photo tribute to the First Grandma.

I'll start with one of my favorite pictures of the entire Obama journey. Photography is at its most powerful when a picture can tell a story. And this one from election night 2008 would be a best-seller in book form.

Photobucket

I'll let the rest of them speak for themselves.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That last one reminds me of something President Obama said at the Women's Leadership Forum.

I was a little confused when they told me I was coming here to address the Women’s Leadership Forum, because I address a women’s leadership forum every night at dinner. I just left a women’s leadership forum.

It's good to remember the role that several strong women play in this man's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I'd much rather be us than them"

According to the polling aggregate at The Economist, if the 2024 presidential election were held today, it would result in a tie. There'...