Tuesday, May 17, 2011

On the process of forming your own identity

I've often thought that one of the reasons I am so supportive of President Obama is that I share some things in common with him. They're not the kind of thing you'd notice much. And there are many ways that we're different. But where we are similar is that both of us took a long thoughtful approach to the development of our identity. Let me explain...

I was raised in a southern fundamentalist christian conservative family and community. Until I was in college, I bought into it all. Then - as I began to experience a lot of cognitive dissonance between the world as I experienced it and what I had been taught - I started to ask questions. Over the next 10-15 years I slowly and methodically went through everything I believed about myself and the world - starting with the political and progressing to the spiritual - and thought things through until I came to conclusions I could live with, both emotionally and rationally.

I watched others in my family and community do it differently. Either they swallowed it all or rebelled and rejected it in one fell swoop. Watching the rebels as adults, most of them have eventually done some thoughtful reflection as well. After all, simply saying "no" to what you were taught keeps you in as much bondage as buying into it all in the first place. Eventually you have to figure out what you do/don't believe for yourself.

When I read Obama's book Dreams From My Father, I saw it primarily as a treatise on his own identity formation. Obama's struggles were very different from mine. He had to figure out what it meant to be a Black man in this country while growing up in a white family with no African American community to fall back on. The two pillars of that journey were his visit to Kenya to find his father's family and his time as a community organizer in Chicago.

But Obama engaged in the same thoughtful slow process that I did. He could have done it differently. Many young men in his position either force themselves to adopt a "white" view of the world in order to fit in or rebel into the "angry black gangsta" routine.

I'm not sure what this says about either Obama or me. I do know that all roads that lead to authenticity in oneself are valid and would not judge anyone who took a different path.

But I suppose that whatever this says about us influences how we approach the world in general and problem-solving in particular. Neither of us is prone to sudden fits of pique or to rash conclusions. We tend to trust our minds and instincts to eventually figure things out.

3 comments:

  1. The update in the previous post was very powerful. It is indeed clear who is "free" and who is not.

    As you know, I've also had one of those identity journeys. I'm content now with who I am. (People keep telling me that they admire "how comfortable you are in your own skin!" which actually makes me want to puke because it's become such a cliche, and besides why should it be admirable? It just "is what it is.")

    I wish everyone could just get past expecting people to pick some pigeonhole to settle in. Get an attitude like Tiger Woods' (only not the sex part!).

    One way to start would be to stop identifying people as the first this or the first that (first black man to…; first woman to…) as if their accomplishments are qualified by race or gender or nationality. Let's stop noticing it, making a big deal of it. Personally, I find it cringe-worthy: "Wow, look at what that black person can do!" Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie - there's some truth to be found in BOTH the comments by Serwer and the one made by Rikyrah yesterday that I just put up as a new post. I don't think we can ignore the importance of the symbolism of the "first."

    I always remember when Mondale picked Ferraro. In the lead-up to the decision, I was dismissive of its importance. But when I saw the actual announcement on TV, I cried. It was a very instinctive guttural reaction that I hadn't seen coming.

    There is something very powerful in seeing an actual demonstration of the idea that you belong that comes with that symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smarty - I just read the newer post and I agree to some extent, but I think it would be more appropriate if the "noticing" is within––whether within a person, a family, or a culture. It's the media hoopla that I find embarrassing and counter-productive.

    The most egregious example that comes to mind right now is the fuss over Halle Berry being nominated for an Oscar (I pay so little attention to such things that I don't even know if she won). She is a fine actress but at the time it seemed to me that the focus was so much on her "blackness" that she became a racial token only, and her expertise in her profession was diminished by that. As if her skin color had something to do with why she was nominated, as if the nominating committee said "Well, we need a black nominee, why not her?" As if instead of being seen as a talented actress among actresses, she was separate, A Black Actress, an oddity to be oohed and aahed over.

    I guess I would like to think that anyone in a particular group would be quietly and proudly aware that a milestone has been reached or a glass ceiling broken without the necessity for the over-the-top breathless histrionics that concentrate almost exclusively on the skin color or gender, thereby turning the first whoever into an almost cartoonish symbol.

    Because then, you see, if whoever it is proves to be less than perfect, there are those who, seeing them only as this symbol, will shake their heads, mutter "Tsk, tsk, we knew THEY [the entire group] weren't up to it anyway."

    I just hope Sarah Palin's VP try won't set us back as far as Ferraro's did. Ferraro was seen as representing all women in politics, and I believe all women in politics suffered, which is not right.

    ReplyDelete

Bill Barr explains why Christian nationalists are so loyal to Trump

Former Attorney General Bill Barr is in the news again. After basically asserting that the former president is unfit for office, he is now e...