Tuesday, May 17, 2011

OK, now I'm mad (updated)

This is going to be a post about me venting. So, for what it's worth, consider yourself forewarned.

I just got done reading the latest Chris Hedges column in which he interviews Cornel West on his grievances about Obama.

By way of introduction, I'd like to say that there was a time when both Chris Hedges and Cornel West were heroes of mine. I've read their books. In particular, Hedges' War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning and West's Race Matters both had a profound impact on my thinking.

Perhaps because of that, I won't demonize either of them or call them evil. I'll just say that I think they're wrong. Unfortunately, they don't afford President (or Michelle) Obama the same courtesy. Here's how Hedges starts his column.

The moral philosopher Cornel West, if Barack Obama’s ascent to power was a morality play, would be the voice of conscience. Rahm Emanuel, a cynical product of the Chicago political machine, would be Satan. Emanuel in the first scene of the play would dangle power, privilege, fame and money before Obama. West would warn Obama that the quality of a life is defined by its moral commitment, that his legacy will be determined by his willingness to defy the cruel assault by the corporate state and the financial elite against the poor and working men and women, and that justice must never be sacrificed on the altar of power.

Perhaps there was never much of a struggle in Obama’s heart. Perhaps West only provided a moral veneer. Perhaps the dark heart of Emanuel was always the dark heart of Obama. Only Obama knows. But we know how the play ends. West is banished like honest Kent in “King Lear.” Emanuel and immoral mediocrities from Lawrence Summers to Timothy Geithner to Robert Gates—think of Goneril and Regan in the Shakespearean tragedy—take power. We lose. And Obama becomes an obedient servant of the corporate elite in exchange for the hollow trappings of authority.

Do you see what he did there? It couldn't be that Obama or Emanuel disagrees with Hedges point of view. No, you have Emanuel cast as Satan and Obama as hungry for power, privilege, fame and money. This is the notion of many of the "professional left"...anyone who disagrees with me is somehow evil or power/money hungry. Its what makes them ideologues who are as guilty of dehumanizing their opponents as the wingers.

Then Hedges begins to quote West. It doesn't take him long to trot out the old canard about Obama's appointments. You've heard it all before...its all about Summers, Geithner, and Gates. What I want to know is whether or not West's only concern is about the people Obama chose for his administration. Does he ever talk about the policies these men might have promoted? Not so much. It seems to be enough to merely call out their names and the left's response is "Oh my, that's TERRIBLE! Obama is a failure."

Then West goes into his own sense of personal betrayal. Its so terrible that Obama didn't call him back. Melissa Harris-Perry does a much better take-down of this one than I could.

When I got to the part of the article where he brings in Michelle Obama, I was pretty livid. Here it is:

Valerie Jarrett, a senior adviser to the president, has, West said, phoned him to complain about his critiques of Obama. Jarrett was especially perturbed, West says, when he said in an interview last year that he saw a lot of Malcolm X and Ella Baker in Michelle Obama. Jarrett told him his comments were not complimentary to the first lady.

“I said in the world that I live in, in that which authorizes my reality, Ella Baker is a towering figure,” he says, munching Fritos and sipping apple juice at his desk. “If I say there is a lot of Ella Baker in Michelle Obama, that’s a compliment. She can take it any way she wants. I can tell her I’m sorry it offended you, but I’m going to speak the truth. She is a Harvard Law graduate, a Princeton graduate, and she deals with child obesity and military families. Why doesn’t she visit a prison? Why not spend some time in the hood? That is where she is, but she can’t do it.

West is trying to twist this to say that Jarrett was mad that he had compared Michelle to Ella Baker. I don't think so. Any black woman would wear that comparison with tremendous pride. Here's the original quote Jarrett was referring to. You tell me what you think she was angry about.

I think she's got a lot of Malcolm X in her, a lot of Ella Baker. But she's had to contain it in a very intense manner to conform to the first lady image. Somebody of her brilliance, somebody of her vision, somebody of her courage confined to keeping gardens at the White House, reaching out to military families, highlighting childhood obesity. I think she could be a great force for change if she could only set herself free. She can't, though. Black sister exercising her power, willing to take a stand, would be too much of a threat.

What he's saying is that Michelle obviously isn't "free" because of the issues she has chosen to highlight as the First Lady. If brother West would have merely said that he was disappointed in her choices and hoped she would considers others that he views more important, that would be fair criticism. But he had to denigrate her as a human being - similarly to how Hedges did with Obama and Emanuel at the beginning of the article - all because he disagrees with her choices.

I find West's next sentence to be unconscionable.

I think my dear brother Barack Obama has a certain fear of free black men,” West says.

I really don't even have the words to respond to this one - other than to say "How dare you!"

And from there I'll refer you to the above response from Melissa Harris-Perry as well as articles on this by Marcus Toussaint and Keith Owens.

Whew! I must admit that it feels good to get all that off my chest. It not only goes out to Hedges and West - but to all the times I heard a lot of the same crap from other members of the frustrati.

UPDATE: Thanks to a comment by rikyrah, I read an article about this by Ta-Nehisi Coates who quoted Adam Serwer. He addresses West's line about Obama being afraid of free black men with the words I would never have been able to find.

Growing up mixed you sometimes face a kind of confusion. Those around you press you to make a choice about how much of yourself you're willing to give up, how much you're are willing to pretend in order to claim membership in one club or another. West demands to know why Obama isn't sitting at the black table in the dining hall, while reminding him that he's only welcome there by his graces. What you eventually learn is that peace is not something the "gatekeepers" have to offer and is the last thing they want you to find. Eventually you learn the rules of the game are silly and destructive, and who you are can't be negotiated either way.

To some degree this is just a part of adolescence, but most people have grown out of this kind of racial pageantry by middle age. West has not, but perhaps worse, he assumes the president has not. Perhaps he did not read the president's autobiography, or he would have realized that Obama is not a lost little mulatto child who is willing to give West something in exchange for that which is not West's to trade. Obama's struggle to find peace with himself is essentially the opposite of "deracination," a term that takes on all the force of an epithet here. Obama is lambasted as a Kenyan anti-colonialist by the likes of Newt Gingrich, and as a wide-eyed surrogate of "upper middle class white and Jewish men" by the likes of West. To have one group of morons question your citizenship while others question your blackness. To have one's very being interrogated by those who, because of their own pathologies, see your difference as a kind of terrible mistake, an anomaly to be soothed with toxic balm of archaic social binaries, this is what it means to be black, and also a mutt.

President Obama has a "fear of free black men," says the celebrity professor from Princeton by way of Harvard, explaining why the president feels "at home" among people who are not black. This remark made me wonder: Which of these men do you think, is actually free, and which afraid of who he truly is?

And now I understand why thinking about all of this sent me into a rumination of the process of identity formation - which is the subject of my next post above.

12 comments:

  1. West's remarks sound like pique, as in maybe he's pissed because he's not such an "insider" as he would like to be. Also, I get weary of people who are disappointed in Obama because he's the President, as opposed to the Black President.

    As for Hedges, I lost all respect for him over an incident at a commencement speech a few years ago, which I mentioned on MT a while back.

    To recap: He used the occasion of a commencement address at a small liberal arts college (can't remember which one) to make an anti-war, anti-Bush tirade. There was not one mention of the graduates and their accomplishments. You would not have known, simply reading it, that it was a graduation speech at all. (I read the entire thing in the Progressive.) The graduation class finally got fed up and started to boo him, to the extent that he was ushered off the stage, before he finished his speech, by the college president.

    Hedges (and the Progressive) tried to paint this as an infringement of his right to free speech by a bunch of Bush supporters. It was nothing of the kind. It was a bunch of kids who had just spent four (or more) long years working hard and expected some acknowledgment of that from the speaker, who instead chose to ignore them completely.

    No one, not even Chris Hedges, has the right to turn a graduation ceremony into his personal agenda, and the hubris and arrogance he exhibited disgusted me and I've ignored him ever since.

    So I certainly wouldn't argue with you over your current rant against him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that his whiny "I'm the victim here" was pathetic, and the clincher in winning my disgust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard that commencement address story. But based on what I've read lately by Hedges, it doesn't surprise me.

    And YES on the victim crap. Makes me think of this song.

    http://youtu.be/TmU_K39axA8

    ReplyDelete
  4. smartypants, there are plenty of places where West is being LIT UP for this nonsense today.

    We have posts at Jack and Jill Politics.

    http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/


    Then, there is W.E.E. See You (many discussions in today's open threads)

    http://weeseeyou.com/



    and Ta-Nehisi Coates has written well on it.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/ta-nehisi-coates/



    each of these places has links to others who are also quite angry at the nasty, personal tone West has taken towards the President.

    as far as attacking Michelle Obama, West should ask his buddy Travis how that worked out for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. rkyrah

    It was the posts at Jack and Jill that brought it all to my attention. I'll go check out Coates and W.E.E See You now.

    I'm glad to hear that many are taking it on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great song! I hadn't heard it before.

    It reminds me of years ago when out of curiosity, and lack of anything better to do at the time, I attended a meeting of an Adult Children of Alcoholics support group. I was curious about support groups in general because there seemed to be one for everything under the sun, all listed in the paper.

    Well. Never in my life have I sat through anything more excruciatingly embarrassing and pathetic. A bunch of obvious losers who whined in turn about how every failure (and they all had many) in their lives was the fault of their parents' drinking.

    I wanted so badly to stand up and scream "Get over it!!" but despite my mother's drinking I knew better than to be so rude, so I sat through the whole miserable thing, made my escape, and never went to another support group for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. rikyrah

    WOW on what Adam Serwer said!!!!!! I had to update the post with that one.

    Robbie

    As a "recovering therapist" some might find it odd that I agree with you and that song so much. But I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Pants

    Yes, yes...

    A goodly number of "us" are not pleased one LITTLE bit about this foolishment from Hedges and West. I started reading this post to see just what got you so steamed, saw it, started to tell you about Dr. Melissa's response and saw Rikyrah was already on it. If Rikyrah is on the case, it is COVERED.

    My man Mike Fields, who is over the news dept. for PBS radio in Atlanta has it up on his FB page and a number of us have been having a nice back and forth about it.

    My summation: A wounded narcissist is NOT a happy narcissist.

    And, yes....I'm not a "recovering" therapist. I'm still in private practice :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Blackman!

    Given that you're a therapist, you might understand why this melding of the political with the psychological (ie, the wounded narcissist) is so fascinating to me. The two are never really divorced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi SP
    There could be a great deal to say about Hedges, West and Smily and Wickham's need to "dump on the President". But I think that is what they relish, that is what gets them appearances on the MSM for a fee. They are even on Aljazeera broadcasting their venom to the Arab world. Now why do they need to do that? I think it is much bigger than ego. They want to wound him, damage him, help the repugs break him. He is too dangerous to their image of themselves to allow him to be what!!!!! President of the World!! I don't think so. So I think their illness is not healed by our discussions but enhanced. They want this conversation! If only we could ignore them! I do not think the President wants or needs our defence of him. If ever there were 2 people who are comfortable in their skins it is President Obama and his incredible wife Michelle.
    That is my 2 cents. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Smilingl8dy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree fully with Smilingl8dy. I do not know these characters and, truthfully, have little interest in them, or their spiel. The last time they were on a hunt for attention someone mentioned that despite their loud oratory, they contribute very little of practical support to the Black community and, in fact, take a lot away financially (hawking their books). That said a lot to me. I remember the old adage, 'actions speak louder than words', and the First Lady's actions are already 'a great force for change' IMO. To me, the sad part of all this is when a jealous 'brother' tries to undermine a 'dear brother's (=so insultingly condescending) efforts. Thankfully they won't succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smilingl8dy - I don't know if you'll see this, but I wanted you to know that your comment here made me think. I've been pondering it over the last couple of days and just wrote about it in a post about "The Fuss Box."

    My conclusions might not be yours. But I REALLY appreciate your comment and the places it sent me to in my own thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Did Zelenskyy play a role in Speaker Johnson's about-face on aid for Ukraine?

Since I wrote about the role white evangelical Christians played in influencing Speaker Johnson to support U.S. aid to Ukraine, I found a p...