Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mother's letter to President Obama: "You gave him something I could not"

I don't normally suggest going to HuffPo. But today I'm going to make an exception.

Please go take a look at the letter Elizabeth Messina wrote to the President about the impact he has had on her bi-racial son.
He was 5-years-old at the time you were elected president. And although I realize you were in the midst of pursing your dreams, you inadvertently simultaneously changed my son's life. Quite frankly, I believe you changed the lives of sons across the world. This, Mr. President, is no small thing. My son could see himself in you, the leader of our country, something no child of color had been able to do in America prior to your presidency. He was at an age when he had just become aware that my skin did not look like his. You gave my son in this moment something I could not.
But even more importantly, you'll want to see the photograph she took of her son that speaks even more loudly than her words.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I've passed the link on to a fellow blogger whose son is bi-racial.

    ReplyDelete

Israel owes Obama a huge debt of gratitude

While we don't know the outcome of Iran's attack on Israel yet, it appears as though the worst has been avoided. According to report...