Monday, June 3, 2013

As long as we're listing Eric Holder's accomplishments at DOJ, let's not forget this one

Today utaustinliberal posted a magnificent piece over at The Obama Diary about some of AG Eric Holder's accomplishments at the DOJ. If you haven't seen it already, please go take a look.

I had neglected to include one of the most important ones in my DOJ Watch - something I need to rectify immediately. When we talk about what Holder has done, this one should be right at the top of the list.
The Obama administration announced April 11 its intent to resolve 41 long-standing disputes with Indian tribal governments over the federal mismanagement of trust funds and resources.

Ignacia Moreno, assistant attorney general at the U.S. Department of Justice, said the settlements will amount to a combined total of $1.023 billion to the 41 tribes for past federal mismanagement.

Beyond money, the settlements also set forth a framework for promoting tribal sovereignty and improving nation-to-nation federal-tribal relations, while trying to avoid future litigation through improved communication, Moreno said.
This agreement negotiated by DOJ between the 41 tribes and the Dept. of Interior settled cases that were over 100 years old. It is milestones like this that prompted Chief Bill John Baker of the Cherokee Nation to say that Obama is "the best President for Indian Country in the history of the United States."

Yep, that's a biggie that we can thank Mr. Holder for.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of AG Holder. Yes I am an African American female. Contrary to the belief of some, I do have a great measure of intelligence. Congressman Issa and his crew should be extremely ashamed of themselves for what they are trying to pin on this "MAN". I had to capitalize man because he is one and a fine one at that. I have been folloing Mr. Issa and often times he does not make sense. What is obvious is his utter distain for this accomplished Black Man. How dare he head the DOJ of the entire United States of America along with that black President of the United States. Mr. Issa and those that share his vision will do anything to undermind these two gentlemen. How do I know? Because I was a mid level finance manager for a multi million dollar corporation and I had to endure Mr. Issa's brand of racism my entire 29 years in this profession. Just like President Obama and AG Holder I succeeded against the odds until I retired. To the bigots and haters, know this, your mess only make people like us stronger and more determined.

    ReplyDelete

Did Zelenskyy play a role in Speaker Johnson's about-face on aid for Ukraine?

Since I wrote about the role white evangelical Christians played in influencing Speaker Johnson to support U.S. aid to Ukraine, I found a p...