Friday, May 6, 2011

Some of us knew all along

One of the things I've enjoyed this week is watching some commentators catch on to how I've seen President Obama all along. I wrote about one front-pager at Daily Kos earlier this week. But E.J. Dionne had a go of it as well in his column titled Who is Obama? Now we know.

Barack Obama is not the man many Americans thought he was. This sudden realization has transformed American politics.

The sheer audacity of the successful operation against Osama bin Laden has forced Obama’s friends and foes alike to reassess what they make of a chief executive who defies easy categorization and reveals less about himself than politicians are typically drawn to do.

Obama is hard to understand because he is many things and not just one thing. He has now proved that he can be bold at an operational level, even as he remains cautious at a philosophical level. His proclivity to gather facts and weigh alternatives does not lead automatically, in the venerable phrase, to the paralysis of analysis. It can also end in daring action tempered by prudence...

The president’s rhetoric has often emphasized caring, compassion and community, the language one expects from a moderately liberal politician. Yet as one of his close aides told me long ago, there is inside a very cool, tough, even hard man. Obama is not reluctant to use American military power.

Do you see what he did there? He pointed out the lie that someone who emphasizes "caring, compassion and community" can't be cool, tough and hard.

Its a myth that all too many people buy in to and is why so many have misunderstood Obama. Remember when everyone on the left was screaming that he had to man up? Michael Moore even went so far as to say that he needed to take off his tutu and put on the boxing gloves.

So now we've all gotten to see the "manly" side of President Obama. Does that surprise you? If so, you've bought into the dichotomy that feeds our sexism in this culture. And as women, we ought to know better.

As I've watched the conversation this week about all of this, several times I've thought of one of my favorite poems by Marge Piercy. I hope she'll forgive me for quoting just a few verses that demonstrate the point I'm trying to make.

For strong women

A strong woman is a woman determined
to do something others are determined
not to be done. She is pushing up on the bottom
of a lead coffin lid. She is trying to raise
a manhole cover with her head, she is trying
to butt her way though a steel wall.
Her head hurts. People waiting for the hole
to be made say, hurry, you're so strong.

A strong woman is a woman who craves love
like oxygen or she turns blue choking.
A strong woman is a woman who loves
strongly and weeps strongly and is strongly
terrified and has strong needs. A strong woman is strong
in words, in action, in connection, in feeling;
she is not strong as a stone but as a wolf
sucking her young. Strength is not in her,but she
enacts it as the wind fills a sail.

What comforts her is other's loving
her equally for the strength and for the weakness
from which it issues, lightning from a cloud.
Lightning stuns. In rain,the clouds disperse.
Only water of connection remains,
flowing through us. Strong is what we make together,
a strong woman is a woman strongly afraid.

It's high time we recognized this kind of strength. And it's also high time we welcomed men into the fold of those who can display it. Let's remember that next time we hear President Obama talking about caring, compassion and community.

12 comments:

  1. I like the new look, much easier on the eyes, or at least on my eyes!

    Interesting poem. But what happens, in my experience, is when people see you as strong and then you show a little natural weakness they turn on you like mad dogs, I suppose because you've disappointed them.

    I thought Matt Seaton would have a bit more to say before that last thread closed. Oh well. I really dislike that comment format at the DB and won't be hanging out there at all.

    I took a look at a BBC blog I used to participate in and they've done something dreadful to it that will probably kill it off. Which may have been their intention. They can't possibly think it's an improvement.

    I guess it's like phones that are no good for actual phone calls––some advanced technology is really regressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just in the middle of playing with the layout. I might be done - but who knows? Glad you like it.

    I'll be anxious to see that Matt does. It could take a while to find someone and get them started. In the meantime, he might lose a lot of us. Perhaps they'll throw out a few bones for us to keep the place going. That's what I would do in their shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, my son was having a tough day yesterday, having to do some college entrance exams and then finding out that even as low as his income is he probably won't qualify for federal financial aid, so I sent him that funny Obama with the cowboy hat picture and it cheered him immensely.

    I know he'd enjoy the fist-bumping photos but there are so many of them and I don't want to send him a link to this blog because I do need some privacy from my children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smarty, if you have time you might want to take a look at Sarah Wildman's column about Tony Kushner on CifA. It is somewhat related to things I mentioned in my email of the other night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smarty, check out a comment by one slimemonkey at 10:27 p.m. on CifA's Is It Okay to Shoot an Unarmed Osama bin Laden? Ask Jimmy Stewart thread and let me know if you think what I think. It's his first comment ever. As slimemonkey, I mean.

    I'm sorry, I don't know how to link to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the Wildman column. Makes total sense to me. Mixing religion/ethnicity/nationality in Israel has been a dangerous and complex mix.

    I also checked out the comment by slimemonkey. You nailed him. The mix of sexuality and pretension is always a give-away. How many sockpuppets does the guy have? It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant the complex and distasteful mess within the American Jewish community, and how ugly it can get. But yes, agree about the mix in Israel.

    As for sockpuppets, I wonder why he does that. Is he really trying to disguise himself or is it a game?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robbie

    I was just thinking that its the ideological loyalty to Israel - no matter what the country does - that seems to drive so much of the conflict in the American Jewish community.

    On another note, I just remembered that the columnist I recommended as a possible replacement for Tomasky - Steve Benen - has a regular feature on Saturday mornings that he titles "This Week in God." He uses it to flesh out some of the issues you talk about - although perhaps not as militantly as you would.

    http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2011_05/this_week_in_god029427.php

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great piece, but my comment is pretty negative.

    My question for these folks: President Obama is an open book, there's literally no guesswork with him. He said years and years and years ago that he thought bin Laden was in Pakistan, and that because of some shadiness, if in fact he ever saw an opportunity to go after bin Laden, he'd do so with an excursion into Pakistan regardless of what the Pakistani government + military thought, and he'd simply call that a day. He did nothing but what he said he'd do, which is the story of the Presidency with literally only a handful of exceptions.

    He said it, so why are so many people acting like they're so surprised???

    IMO evaluating President Obama requires no special capabilities; what you see is what you get with him. But what has become clear is that some of what the netroots and national media "sees" in President Obama is colored by their own baggage and their own biases. People who cannot conceive of a three-dimensional man who is neither Steve Urkel nor Suge Knight but is both and much more at the same time have been flooding us with a metric ton of misinformation in their failure of imagination and in some cases, jealousy and resentment at President Obama's superlative nature, *and worse*.

    You're so much better than me on this one, because I'll never be able to forgive these people in the netroots, and I have no ability to deal with people who have not a sliver of POTUS' strength and character, much less his accomplishments *for this country*, waxing poetic all day long about "disappointments" as fighting keyboardists. What they've done cannot be undone and is so wretched that it threatens the well-being of people who I care about who need sanity in the WH for their own survival. I no longer care about their epiphanies. Their egos have contributed to bringing this country to its knees and they're still not done, trust me on that.

    I'm so sorry for the negative comment smartypants! Your piece was excellent and was so generous in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. gn

    No need to apologize. I totally hear you.

    I can understand people disagreeing with Obama's policies. What I can't understand is how they missed who he is. So in that sense, I'm as confounded as you are. There is a consistency and openness in him that is actually quite remarkable.

    But the truth is that he's a very different leader than many people have grown to expect. And their laziness in not taking the time to understand that is what I hold them accountable for. They simply took old stereotypes and tried to project them on to him.

    As I've said many times, I think much of how he is different is rooted as much in sexism as it is in racism. More than most men, he has powerfully blended what we have come to know as the feminine with the masculine. People tend to look for one or the other and have a hard time seeing both in the same person. You combine that with an extraordinary intellect and his ability to also see the world from both sides of the racism divide and you see why many of us have known from the beginning that we are fortunate to have such an exceptional leader.

    Some of us can admire and appreciate all of that. Others are confused and angry that he doesn't fit some preconceived mode. I always expected that eventually more people would see it. That's what happens with visionary leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. smartypants, you couldn't be more correct. Sometimes I get so utterly frustrated but I need to remember that we all saw this coming as early as 2007/2008: President Obama is so different and his conception of politics so beyond what we've seen, that a lot of people were bound to get and stay pissed off. I had my hope to yours that more people see reality before too long. Again, this was an excellent piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. typo: I *add* my hope to yours...

    ReplyDelete

Israel owes Obama a huge debt of gratitude

While we don't know the outcome of Iran's attack on Israel yet, it appears as though the worst has been avoided. According to report...