The stakes couldn't be any higher.
- The former Republican president attempted a coup to overturn the last election and continues to claim that it was rigged.
- Followers of that president stormed the Capitol in an attempt to violently disrupt the peaceful transfer of power.
- The racist great replacement theory has become a GOP talking point.
- Conservatives are openly patterning themselves after the fascism implemented by Viktor Orban in Hungary.
- Republican-appointed Supreme Court justices are about to overturn Roe v. Wade.
- Twenty-six red states are certain or likely to institute abortion bans once Roe is overturned.
- Republicans are openly talking about overturning Supreme Court rulings on access to contraception and marriage equality.
- Red states continue to pass laws to suppress the vote, while Republicans in Congress refuse to fix the Voting Rights Act.
- Even as guns have become the number one cause of death for children, Republicans continue to reject any kind of common sense gun safety reform.
- Republicans have no plan to address climate change, with many of them calling the science a hoax.
What we put forward as self-evident and normal may be deeply dangerous and destructive...For example, Donald Trump lies repeatedly. We may come to see a president as liar as normal. He also makes bombastic statements about nuclear weapons, for instance, which can then be seen as somehow normal. In other words, his behavior as president, with all those who defend his behavior in the administration, becomes a norm. We have to contest it, because it is malignant normality.
That interview took place years before the bulleted events above. Do you want to see how much worse malignancy normality has become? Here's a sitting member of Congress who is all but guaranteed to win re-election in November.
Or how about the guy who has been endorsed for the Georgia Senate seat by both the establishment and insurgent wings of the Republican Party?
Marjorie Taylor Greene says the government is planning to “zap” people inside their bodies if they try to eat a real cheeseburger. pic.twitter.com/gCDHiH5Bsy— PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 (@patriottakes) May 29, 2022
Herschel Walker's solution to school shootings involves "a department that can look at young men that's looking at women that's looking at social media." pic.twitter.com/WAi7a4mwgz— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) May 26, 2022
That's what passes for "normal" in Republican politics these days. And yet, according to the generic ballot polling aggregate at FiveThirtyEight, Republicans lead Democrats by almost two points.
Something is seriously wrong with our country right now. Unlike malignant cancer, this disease doesn't seem to be spreading, which is what counts for good news. But it has a grip on a large portion of the electorate and is burrowing deeper as it gets even more deadly. Forgive me if I sound cynical, but as Cory Booker said recently, "My hope has had its ass kicked."