Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Smartypants has a sad :-(

Lately I've developed a pattern. I get up in the morning, brush my teeth, make some coffee, and start perusing the internet for stories that catch my interest. Anything before 7:00 am (my local time) is usually unproductive because Steven Benen posts his first piece of the day at the Washington Monthly about that time. And NO ONE on the internet has a better nose for what's important to pragmatic progressives than Steve. As the day wears on, its also true that no one is as prolific as Steve - who usually posts over a dozen articles a day.

So I couldn't help but be sad yesterday when Steve announced he's leaving his gig with the Washington Monthly. And now we see his last headline there: And that's a wrap.

I tend not to talk too much about myself on the blog, but I hope readers will indulge me for a moment. I ran my own site from 2003 to 2008, and dreamed that I’d get picked up by a news outlet I enjoy and respect, so I could get paid to do what I love. The Washington Monthly gave me that opportunity three-and-a-half years ago, and for that, the editors, publishers, and the rest of the team here has my endless gratitude.

I meant what I said yesterday: I wasn’t prepared to leave this job unless something truly special came along, and fortunately for me, something did. The chance to work for Rachel Maddow and MSNBC is a dream gig that I couldn’t be more excited about.

I'll try my best to be happy for you - and you can bet that I'll follow you to your new gig. But right now I'm going to be sad for awhile. That's life I guess.

3 comments:

  1. 'Eve'nin', Ms. Pants

    Gawd....he looks like he's 15.

    He HAS been one of the truly reasoned, trustworthy, and congruent analysts on the inter-webs today.

    The good thing is that he MAY (and I would believe that they had this discussion as, I believe, she came after him) be able to help her not say some of the goofy, hair-on-fire, things that she CERtainly has done at any point when it comes to the Pres.

    I pay him a solid male to male compliment - he's a fair man.

    And, I do wish him well.

    Yet another reason why YOU are needed, you see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evenin Blackman

      Its always encouraged me that Rachel thinks so highly of Benen. So you make a great point about him taking some of her "edges" off that pop up every now and them.

      I'm just being selfish. I'll miss having Steve around to get me grounded and going in the morning.

      Delete
  2. It's great to put a face with a name!

    I'll miss Steve's blog, too, but I wish him the best.

    ReplyDelete

Why Christian nationalists fear freedom

For years now a lot of us have been trying to understand why white evangelical voters remain so loyal to Donald Trump. I believe that the an...