Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Romney (Ann) vs Christie

I basically agree with people who are saying that Gov. Chris Christie's speech last night was his opening salvo in search of the 2016 GOP presidential nomination. That much was clear.

But beyond that, it seemed to be a repudiation of the heart of what Ann Romney had just said in the previous speech. Let's take a look at their introductory remarks side-by-side.

Here is how Ann Romney defined the point she wanted to make.
I want to talk not about what divides us, but what holds us together as an American family. I want to talk to you tonight about that one great thing that unites us, that one thing that brings us our greatest joy when times are good, and the deepest solace in our dark hours.

Tonight I want to talk to you about love.
And then, less than 30 minutes later, here's how Christie summarized his point.
The greatest lesson Mom ever taught me, though, was this one: she told me there would be times in your life when you have to choose between being loved and being respected. She said to always pick being respected, that love without respect was always fleeting — but that respect could grow into real, lasting love.

Now, of course, she was talking about women.

But I have learned over time that it applies just as much to leadership. In fact, I think that advice applies to America today more than ever.

I believe we have become paralyzed by our desire to be loved.
Huh? Right about then my head was spinning. What's the deal here? Is love "what holds us together as an American family" or what's paralyzing us?

We know that the Republican Party is extremely divided these days. And so perhaps they actually planned to give opposing messages - one for each wing.

But I believe that's probably being too generous. I suspect this kind of confusion is more the result of a Romney/Ryan campaign that just illustrated once again last night that they really are the gang that couldn't shoot straight.

2 comments:

  1. I think Christie's been watching too much Godfather. What the hell is he talking about? That tough guy act doesn't fly where he's trying to be. I know when someone has to emphasize how tough one is I have nothing to worry about. There's some Pillsbury under that facade.

    Vic78

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching republican politicians in action since I cast my first vote in 1972, and I've seen them convey a lot of things but real love for country and for our citizens hasn't been among the things I've seen. What I have seen throughout the years is a thirst for power, false bravado, hate mongering, warmongering, political malfeasance, poor governance, and lots and lots of greed.

    ReplyDelete

Why Christian nationalists fear freedom

For years now a lot of us have been trying to understand why white evangelical voters remain so loyal to Donald Trump. I believe that the an...