Saturday, November 8, 2014

This one goes out to Loretta's Mom


Michael Daly has written a wonderful article about Lorretta Lynch's background (hat tip to my friend @AlanMandel). You should go read the whole thing. 

But I got all verklempt when I read this:
Her mother, Lorine Lynch, started life as a farmhand. Loretta Lynch recalled aloud at the swearing-in ceremony for her first stint as the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York in 1999 that she once asked her mother why she had labored in the fields.

“So you wouldn’t have to,” her mother had told her.
As Loretta enters into the national spotlight, I want to give a shout-out to her Mother, Lorine. That kind of sacrifice doesn't just mean that your daughter didn't have to labor in the fields. Millions of black women and girls all over the country will see the world of possibilities just a little bit differently after today.

4 comments:

  1. Were you actually wearing a hat or just using a figure of speech?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whizzed right over my head. What am I missing?

      Delete
    2. Oh, I see. I was thinking you were commenting on me being "verklempt" and couldn't figure out what that has to do w/ hats. LOL

      I guess I'm showing my MN roots w/ the "hat tip." Even tho I NEVER watch hockey :-)

      Delete

Why Christian nationalists fear freedom

For years now a lot of us have been trying to understand why white evangelical voters remain so loyal to Donald Trump. I believe that the an...